Monday, January 30, 2012

Redoing Rail-Mower Wiring

I got so pysched up from our Saturday work rail-mower work session, and Sunday was such a nice day to be outdoors, that I moved the rail-mower out into the sun along the track from the carport, brought tools and supplies next to it, and began the long-delayed task of cleaning up the tangle of wires from the engine to and between various other electrical components.  I was going to replace the wires with the right color wire, according to the electrical schematic, so I hauled the schematic out and began to trace the rail-mower wiring.  In the process of heavying up two wires from the voltage regulator to the starter-generator I found that they were apparently crossed.  That must have been a problem caused by a previous owner because neither Frank nor I had ever changed those wires around.  This struck me as a possible explanation for why Frank had noticed that the starter-generator was not generating current while the engine is running.  Frank is not so sure and gave me some directions about how to check the generator myself.  However, I'm the guy who blew out the bulb on his continuity tester trying to test a 12v circuit on the rail-mower.  So I'm going to take advantage of Frank's kind offer to bring the newly-welded muffler back this Saturday to let him do the definitive study.  If the generator part of the S-G is shot, I have another, used, starter-generator we can swap out and see if it works.

Be that as it may, I did shorten a number of wires so the rail-mower no longer looks like a tractor with bad hair.  Plus I took a lot of connections apart and cleaned up the terminals with steel wool and installed new nuts and bolts where possible.  I wanted to replace the nuts on the S-G post terminals but they had some weird thread.  Took an original to American Bolt Co. in Austin today and they said it was an "uncommon" 12-24 thread.  But at least I got some stainless steel nuts for the S-G so they won't rust anymore.  Also had to replace several terminals.  Couple of hours of work, and of course I had to go back and forth from the garage to the carport two dozen times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment