Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Trailer Disassembled

Finally got the motorcar trailer disassembled today.  Had to take out some 48 bolts, each of which seemed to have been torqued down by some evil genius.  Only tool that could do the bolts on the C-channel was my 18-inch breaker bar with a socket.  But they came off with an audible crack.  Carefully noted down measurements for the holes to be drilled on a piece of paper and then lost the paper (my pit bull was hanging around and I think he made off with it).  But I remember the key items at least.

In the morning I fabricated two sleeves for the broken steel bumper tube.  Then I tried drilling through it so I could put clevis pins through to hold the two tubes together.  None of my drills would cut through.  My teenage son went out to try and reported back "Dad, you had the drill on reverse.  You have to put it on forward to drill into the tube."  Then he spent half an hour helping me drill the holes.  Guess the father-son time was worth the humiliation.  Finished the job and now have a bumper tube that can be put back on the new trailer frame when it's ready.

Bought some bolts for the project at Home Depot.  With weather turning cooler tomorrow and over the weekend, will be wire-wheeling various parts and then priming and painting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment