Wednesday, June 15, 2011

One Step Forward, One Step Back

Received the sleeve bearings needed for both mower decks and I hammered three in to the 1455 mower deck under renovation, proving that they fit just right.  That was a step forward.  But then I noticed that two of the 1455 deck arms that support the deck while hanging underneath the mower do not have the metal clevis pin attached to them.  I checked the parts list and those pins are an integral part of the arms.  I could buy two arms off the internet for almost $ 50.00 but am reluctant to spend more.  I did find a clevis pin in my parts bin that could fit, but would have to grind off the head and then have the pin welded to the arm.  Will discuss the problem with my local helpers and get their advice.  I may just substitute two of the 1250 arms to keep going forward while figuring out how to solve the problem of the missing pins.


Meanwhile, I spread out the conveyor belt that I bought a week or two ago to make railsweeps and motorcar mats with and found it must be well over 100 feet.  Plus most of it is continuous.  I had thought the belt was divided into six foot sections because the first piece I got off it was six feet long, with a metal zipper on one end.  But there was only one other four-foot section with a metal zipper and then the rest is continuous.  I can therefore cut almost any length for motorcars.  Here's what it looked like while I was pulling it with my Explorer:


Will begin by cutting out a section near the end where the belt has worn through.  That part will be good for making railsweeps.  Then I will decide what lengths I need to cut the remainders into.

No comments:

Post a Comment