Sunday, June 5, 2011

Setback on Reassembling Bolens 1250

Today I set out to get as much of my "homework" on reassembling the 1250 done as possible.  I cut off the brake pedal with an angle grinder to get it out of the way.  I also made a 2" long 1/4" square key for the drive sheave.  Plus I reinstalled the PTO control rod.

The trouble began when I tried to reinstall the drive sheave.  Unbeknownst to me, I reinstalled it backwards, so the setscrew could not bite down on the drive shaft.  When I realized that, I pulled the sheave off with the gearpuller.  Then I found that my hitting the sheave with a hammer to mount it onto the shaft had begun to lengthen a pre-existing crack I had forgotten about.  So it looks like now I either need to get the crack welded or buy another sheave.  Will check into whether it can be welded.

That has ended further progress on the main reassembly for now but am sure it is only a temporary setback.  Can still disconnect rods from the hydro transmission and relocate the ignition coil, but will wait for a cool morning to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment