Saturday, October 1, 2011

Additional Followup Work

This morning I drilled out holes in the front bumper attached to the Bolens 1250 tractor body so I could bolt down the body to the front of the motorcar trailer (the bumper sits on the cross-member we added in front).  I actually had tried to use four different 5/16" drill bits but none of them worked until I found a cobalt bit, which is used for "tough metals."  Well, it was tough enough and cut right through.  So the tractor body is now officially part of the trailer.  Here's a photo of the bolts holding the front bumper down to the trailer:



 Also cleaned up the mower deck driveshaft and some old Bolens clevis pins with a wirewheel in preparation for priming and painting them tomorrow.

After I finish painting the driveshaft, I plan to mount it on the 1250 mower deck so it is ready for mounting onto the rail-mower itself.  We can't mount the deck until Frank Glatzl finishes the link that will raise and lower it.  Plus he has the carb for some adjustments.  Once he is ready we will install those two items and then see about mounting and operating the deck.  If it works, it will be ready for a field test, either at Llano or Kingsland.  I am also going to take a closer look at the hood and see what I can do to replace the hinge that rotted off.  Might need to fabricate something out of aluminum to connect to the new hinge.

No comments:

Post a Comment