Saturday, October 8, 2011

Bought some hydraulic fluid

I took advantage of a trip through Marble Falls today for a work session at Kingsland, TX, to stop by the Marble Falls Tractor Supply Company store to look for some tractor hydraulic fluid I had seen on their website.  Don Duff, a former Bolens dealer who now lives in North Carolina with his son Peter, told me in a conversation about my Bolens 1455 garden tractor that I should use hydraulic fluid created for hydrostatic transmissions, like the one on the 1455.  He specifically mentioned the Traveller brand at TSC as the one they use.  I didn't remember seeing it at my local TSC so I went by the Marble Falls one and bought a two gallon jug.  I dropped into our TSC later today for something else and checked the shelves, and of course they had it.  But I am glad to have the fluid he recommended since he and Pete have a reputation as experts on the Eaton transmissions used in the Bolens tractors.  When I asked him about whether it would be necessary to purge the transmission after refilling it, he emphatically said "no", that there is no need to do so.  That sounds good to me.  The name of the hydraulic fluid is "Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid" by Traveller and it cost
$ 18.99 for two gallons before tax.

Also today I received a used steering wheel for my Bolens 1455 and a "hood stop assembly" (a glorified sort of hinge) for the hood on the Bolens 1250 rail-mower.  My 1455 steering wheel right now has three really deep cracks so I could see it is going to break after just a bit more use.  So I found a used Bolens 1250 steering wheel on ebay and won an auction for it.  Fortunately it does not have any cracks and seems to be in good condition, other than cosmetic wear and tear, which doesn't bother me.  The hinge for what used to be the Bolens 1250 will be used once I have cleaned up and gotten the hood into shape to be installed on the rail-mower.  I won it in an ebay auction from the same seller and he shipped it with the steering wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment