Saturday, March 12, 2011

Working on the Motorcar Trailer

Began spray painting small parts for the motorcar trailer yesterday and got them almost all done today.  They had already been primed so I just had to spray them bright orange, to match the original color of the trailer.  I then took four aluminum cross members from the original trailer and began wire-wheeling them to prepare them for priming.  Shortly after starting, I realized the paint would be pre-mid-1970's and therefore probably contains lead.  So I stopped wire-wheeling and used steel wool instead to just rough up the surface and get rid of the dirt.  And I vacuumed thoroughly while wearing a dust mask.  The rest of the job went quickly.  I then moved over to the trailer itself and wire-wheeled the axles (since it was out in the open and a good breeze was blowing).  I then primed the axles in preparation for spray painting them orange as well.  I have a total of eight cross members ready to be primed and painted tomorrow.  I will also take the longitudinal frame members off and get ready to prime and paint them as well.

Various parts I ordered or won on Ebay are arriving.  I now have:

--NOS Wisconsin LP65FS1 fuel pump
--starter/generator (spare)
--S-12D points box (spare)
--starter sheave (to replace a broken one on the S-12D engine)
--cotter pins for mower drive shaft
-- a special part to help suspend the mower deck from the tractor

I ordered a PTO control rod, throttle cable and fuel sediment bowl assembly from Sam's Bolens about two weeks ago but it hasn't shown up yet, so am waiting on that.

I also just ordered 12 new bearings (the ones previously purchased just don't fit the spindles) and four engine mount isolators.  Plus, I have ordered three bearing housings, and an additional two spindles with bearing housings.  So we should have some spares by the time the two mower decks are rebuilt.

That motorcar trailer is going to look mighty bright in orange.  The color is brighter than the current faded color (visible on the axles and under frame members) but will fade itself over time to about the same shade.

That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment