Saturday, July 2, 2011

Cutting Floor Mats

Today I cut floor mats for my M19AA and for another RPI member's M19, the first customers for our conveyor belt-to-floor mat fundraiser for RPI.  It was pretty simple for the M19, just cut a 52" long piece and then cut it in half, yielding two mats 14 7/8" wide each.  It was more complicated for the M19AA since I had to make some custom cuts to fit it around the seat supports and under some large bolts.  But I ultimately finished both and installed them.  Here's what the right side of the M19AA looked like before:

And here's the floor mat with the customs cuts:

Finally, here's the floor mat as installed:

The main point of installing the floor mats, of course, is to keep sharp tools from scraping or damaging the floor.  I think these mats will do that as well as make the car look more professional.  I already have a single mat in my Woodings and probably will cut another one for the other side.

In other developments, I planned to start reconstructing the Bolens 1250, but took a closer look at the newly-reinstalled drive sheave and found that it does not line up with the PTO pulley, etc.  I don't know how to deal with that since if I back the sheave off the shaft a quarter of an inch so it aligns, then the setscrew will be hanging out over the end of the shaft so that it couldn't be tightened down on the square key properly.  The probable answer is to pull the sheave off the shaft again and reverse it, but I will wait to consult before doing that.  Just another bump in the road toward completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment