Monday, July 4, 2011

Installed a Guard

I had a piece of conveyor belting I had cut a month or two ago on hand and decided this weekend was the time to install it on the 1455 mower deck.  Picked up the acorn nuts, as called for on the parts list,  and other hardware and then drilled holes in the belting.  This afternoon I used C-clamps to hold it in place and bolted it on.  It projects about 2.5 inches below the edge of the deck, so that ought to provide some pretty good protection against flying objects.  Here's what it looks like:

Also installed the roller on the other side of the deck.  Not much more to do to this deck, am awaiting judgment from my small engine and tractor guys on whether we can salvage the 1250 deck.  If not, then it's starting to look like I either buy and have one shipped in, or road trip.  I have a tax preparation convention in St. Louis coming up next month and there are a number of tractors with decks within striking distance, so that's my best shot.

Am starting to realize the rail-mower project will really have its greatest impact not during a year of drought like this, but during those heavy-rainfall seasons.  But the restoration we are doing will keep these old tractors and decks going for many years so that will pay off over a long time frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment