Monday, September 19, 2011

Battery Day

Today, Monday, September 19, was "Battery Day" because I took the batteries off my trailer (powers the winch), Woodings CBI motorcar, Fairmont M19AA motorcar and Bolens 1455 tractor to clean, refill if needed and recharge.  Plus I disconnected the ground cables, removed the hardware and polished it up for all of them to ensure a good ground.  I also installed new spark plug-ignition coil wires on the M19AA, which I last ran in March but had a breakdown.  I didn't expect it to run but I took out the starting crank and gave it more than a few turns and it finally revved up.  Kept it going at varying speeds for about five minutes, which suggests that it is back in running condition.  So that is good news.

I also decided to do some work on the rail-mower.  I cleaned up and primed a backup mower gearbox.  I also tried to take a driveshaft off the backup gearbox shaft since we are going to need that shaft for the gearbox already mounted on the rail-mower mower deck.  Unfortunately the driveshaft adaptor appears frozen on the gearbox shaft, just as the adaptor on the Wisconsin S-12D shaft that Frank Glatzl and I had so much trouble with on Saturday.  The gearpuller won't fit on the frozen adaptor so that can't be used.  Perhaps heating it with my blowtorch would help but I still have to figure out how to get some pulling power on it.  So this is going to be the next challenge.  If push comes to shove, I suppose we could just install this older gearbox on the rail-mower deck, but that would mean taking off and re-installing the belt and tensioners and would be a major pain.  A fellow who helped with the the rail-mower deck is coming over Wed. or Thurs. to install a new electric PTO clutch in my Sears Craftsman lawn tractor.  I think I will ask him to help me out on this problem as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment