Friday, September 23, 2011

Preparing to Return Engine to Bolens 1250 Body

I took a piece of sheet metal off the Bolens 1250 engine today to check for mud-dauber nests and found a bit, probably from the infestation behind the engine shroud.  The rest of the fins were in pretty good shape but I cleaned them out with a screwdriver just to be sure.  Then I primed and painted the sheet metal and put it back on the engine.  I also wirewheeled the top of the engine and spray-painted it with a special paint that resists up to 500 degrees.

I took some nuts off the starter-generator leads and was going to replace them since they were rusty.  Began looking for matching new nuts and didn't find any at home.  So I went out and bought no. 10, 8 and 6 nuts and figured one of them would be right--but none were.  Apparently the nuts fits a bolt that falls between the no. 10 and 1/4 in the U.S. system.  Looks like a size 6 metric.  So I conceded defeat and cleaned up the terminal posts as well as the original nuts and put them back on.

Frank Glatzl is coming back over tomorrow for another work session so we should have more to report soon.

Also my small-engine guy is coming over Monday night to replace two blades and mount the new electric PTO clutch on my Sears Craftsman lawn tractor.

F&6^%5 birds ruined one of the rear headlights on my Woodings CBI by ripping one of the wires out of it.  Also ripped up four other electrical wires, probably using the insulation for a nest they were building on top of the battery.  So I have to order a new headlight and do some repair work on the rear lighting system.

No comments:

Post a Comment