Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Miscellaneous Chores for Rail-Mower

I installed three D-rings on my 16-foot trailer today, mainly to provide secure tie-down points for the rail-mower when it is being transported behind the Woodings CBI.  One went in the middle of the trailer, to route the winch cable under the CBI when winching up the rail-mower onto the trailer.

Also worked on a safety skirt for the rail-mower discharge chute.  Frank and I agreed it would be best to have some sort of skirt to block any debris that might get thrown out.  So I cut a 6x16" piece of 1/4" thick conveyor belting.  Then I drilled about 50 holes in it so it wouldn't completely block the air being discharged.  Finally, I found a piece of 2" angle iron and drilled four holes in it.  Then I cleaned it up with a wirewheel brush to prep for priming and painting (probably this weekend since it will be too cool and humid to paint for the next day or so).  I will paint the angle iron red, just like the mower deck itself.  The angle iron will be secured to the top of the discharge chute with some quick-disconnect clevis pins.  The conveyor belting will be secured to to the bottom part of the angle iron with two bolts.  And that should prevent debris from being thrown out.

Also spent some time online looking for round standoffs to mount on the rail-mower sides to hold in place the heavy-duty mats I have fabricated to carry tools on.  Finally realized there were none at a reasonable cost, so am going to go with hex standoffs instead.  Will see if I can pick them up at American Bolt tomorrow down in Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment