Thursday, December 1, 2011

More Rail-Mower Work

Today I got out my angle grinder and cut off the exterior portions of the front axle that were left hanging after we cut off the front wheels of the Bolens 1250 now powering our rail-mower.  They were in the way of the mats that I plan to install so we can carry work equipment on the rail-mower.  Here's one that has been cut off and the other one just before cutting it off:



Fortunately, there was just enough room to be able to attack the axle from all four sides, so eventually I was able to cut through it completely.  Frank Glatzl is fabricating stabilizers to place on each end so the axle no longer can swing freely.

I also received the L123S1 (Wisconsin part no.) Walbro-made carb that will go on the rail-mower today.  Here's a photo of it next to the original LMH-18:


The original just won't work anymore and in fact is missing some pieces from inside it, according to my small-engine guy.  Hopefully the new one can be modified to work, at least one poster on a website indicated that it is a substitute for the LMH-18.

I am taking the rail-mower over to Frank's place on Saturday morning, where he will see if we can make the L123S1 work on the Bolens 1250.  If it does, we will also see if we can mount a breather tube, get the front axle stabilizers mounted and finalize the bracket for the lift arm that replaces the hydraulic cylinder.  From there we will carpool up in my Ford Explorer with the rail-mower to the RPI Annual Meeting in Temple, TX.  After letting fellow RPI members inspect the rail-mower, we will return Frank to his home and leave the rail-mower with him to finish up whatever details need to be completed.  Then we will get together at Kingsland, me bringing my CBI and Frank the rail-mower, for its first actual trial.

More developments:  I finished the ramps for my 16-foot trailer today.  Got two pieces of 8-foot long, 4-inch wide steel C-channel.  Drilled two holes through one end, close to the end and attached a six-inch long piece of angle iron with carriage bolts, going crosswise so it has fit into the end of the trailer to hold the ramp in place.  Then I used the angle grinder to cut an angle at the end to enable the wheels and any other part of the CBI or rail-mower to pass over the angle formed by the ramps and the trailer floor.  I don't think there will be any problem but will be watching carefully when I test it out next week.  This setup has to bring the CBI and the rail-mower back home from Kingsland after our Dec. 10 work session and I want to be sure it will do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment