Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Gathered up all the metal scrap I had been saving for the last three years or so and brought it down to Austin Metal and Iron yesterday to make big money.  I received $ 19.00 for about 100 lbs.  At least it helped me buy a 20' section of steel C-channel, cut into two eight-foot and one four-foot sections.  I am going to use the 8-footers as ramps to load the Woodings CBI and rail-mower onto my 16 foot trailer.  Last time I tried to get the CBI onto it, the steel fence posts I was using bent badly and several colleagues had to help push it onto the trailer at the excursion site.  So that won't happen again, God willing and the creek don't rise.  I used my angle grinder to clean off the ends where they had made two cuts with a cutting torch.  Then I cut off two six-inch pieces of angle iron to bolt to the ends of the C-channel pieces to hook them into the trailer supports (I don't have a welder so can't just weld them).  Tomorrow I will drill the holes and mount the angle iron using bolts.  Will also finish up a bunch of small chores relating to the rail-mower.  Would have liked to be outside working on it today but I had to finish up preparing a liability insurance application for RPI, as well as the YTD financial reports for the Annual Meeting. 

I will be taking the rail-mower over to Frank Glatzl's place on Saturday morning to do finishing work on it.  I found and ordered an L123S1 carb by Walbro the other day and it looks like it may be delivered to me by Friday.  So we will modify, mount and test it as well as make some other last-minute changes.  Then we will carpool up to the RPI Annual Meeting in Temple, where the rail-mower will be available for inspection by RPI members, assuming Leland Stewart, RPI President, approves of the display.

No comments:

Post a Comment