Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Safety Skirting Completed

Today I finished drilling the holes to mount pieces of conveyor belting on the sides of the rail-mower as safety skirting in case the mower deck kicks up any debris (not likely but better safe than sorry).  Then I drilled holes in the belting itself and finally I began mounting it to the rail-mower sides.

I wanted to use some clevis pins to hold them on, so the safety skirts could be removed quickly when necessary but I had to cut them down to size.  While I was doing so the angle grinder simply stopped.  Couldn't figure out why so I took it over to my small engine guy.  He diagnosed the problem as worn brushes.  I had a pair that came with the grinder so I installed them and sure enough it started working again.  By then it was getting dark, the dogs needed to be walked, so I decided to finish installing the skirts tomorrow.  At least this part of the job is almost finished.

I ordered a Walbro WHG-31 carburetor for the rail-mower, but got a notice Monday that the vendor's supplier stated they are out.  So that order was cancelled and refunded.  Found another vendor with one at almost the same price but a shorter period to return it if necessary, and I ordered it but now I doubt it will make it here by the weekend.  We will just have to see.

Am going to turn my attention next to the Woodings CBI, which will be pushing or towing the rail-mower.  I need to empty the stale gas from the fuel bowl and pour in some fresh.  Then I'm going to try running it.  If it runs, I will warm up the engine for five minutes and then change the oil.  I haven't run the CBI much but the oil is 2-3 years old so it's about time to change it out.  I probably also will push the rail-mower to the end of the track and run the CBI up and down a few times to confirm it is operational.  Don't want to load it up on Dec. 9, take it to Kingsland the next day for our work session and have it not run.

No comments:

Post a Comment