Friday, November 25, 2011

Another Fun Day

Saga of the rail-mower continues.  The lawn tractor repair shop guy called me up to let me know he found a WHG carb he could loan me to see if it would at least get the rail-mower working for the Dec. 10 work session at Kingsland.  He also provided the name of a shop in Dubuque, Iowa, that sells Wisconsin parts that might have a Walbro LMH-18.  I went over and picked up the carb and expressed my thanks.  He is real interested in the rail-mower and I promised he could take a look at it after he gets back from a week-long hunting trip.  I did check to see if the WHG fit on the Bolens 1250 engine, but it looks as though the mounting holes on the carb do not line up with the holes on the engine.

About that time I decided I had better change the oil in the CBI's Tecumseh engine before the real cold weather rolls in.  The Woodings CBI motorcar will be towing the rail-mower so it is an essential element.  I started the engine up without problem.  But I smelled gas and got out of the cab to check the engine compartment in front.  I found a leak in the hose from the fuel pump to the engine, shut down the engine and investigated.  Turns out the fuel hose had enough slack in it so it could get into the path of the alternator belt, which cut a slot in it.  When the slot reached the fuel, the hose started leaking.  I cut the bad part of the hose off and re-mounted it.  The hose now sits an inch above and in from the alternator belt and can't reach the belt.  After solving that problem I finally changed the oil with SAE HD30.

In the evening I continued looking for a replacement carb for the Walbro LMH-18.  I finally hit upon the L123S1.  From the picture in the website, it appears identical with the LMH-18.  And the M&D mower website identifies the L123S2 as a replacement for the LMH-18.  Time is running short so I bought the unit, hoping against hope it will work and it will get here before Dec. 10.  Those are two big ifs.  If it doesn't happen, then I will just bring my BCS 725 two-wheeled tractor with sickle bar cutter and mow some big weeds along the ROW in various spots.  One way or another we will get some work done during that work session.

No comments:

Post a Comment