Thursday, May 5, 2011

Further Progress on Rail-Mower Project

Night before last I used my wirewheel to clean up several pieces off the Bolens 1250 as well as to clean some rust and dirt off the 1250.   I also ordered a couple of bits of hardware needed for the 1455 mower deck reconstruction.  Yesterday I drove into Austin and bought bolts and other hardware to use  on that job as well.

A fellow at a truck store, Fleet Pride, referred me across Hwy 183 to a cement mixer maintenance shop that he said has some conveyor belt I could use to create safety guards on both the 1250 and 1455 mower decks.  Sure enough, the guy showed me a large roll of used belt and even cut off a six-foot portion for me, for free.  That would be enough for my deck projects, new railsweeps for both my motorcars and then some.  Leland, however, is looking to make some rubber mats to protect his motorcars from the tools we are always carrying on our work sessions.  That makes sense for my M19AA as well.  So I am going to go back and ask for the whole roll, then figure out what to do with the rest of it.

Last evening I cut pieces of 3/16" square key stock off to make six square keys, more or less 3/4" long.  They will be used in the mower deck reconstruction.  Saved a lot of money over buying smaller pieces at Tractor Supply and cutting them in half.

Frank and I next get together on Sunday, May 22, for another tractor work session. 

No comments:

Post a Comment