Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hoist is Up but Not Yet Finished

I finished filling all the cracks in my ten-foot posts with wood filler this morning, sanded them down and then primed and painted them.  Also finished the hole in the other post.  At the same time I was finishing up the paint job on various parts of mower decks, etc.  Then I moved the Bolens 1250 in two pieces away from the hoist area so there is clear access if a cement truck comes in to discharge cement.  I dropped the posts into the holes but found one post was two inches higher than the other, so had to take it out and use the post hole digger and a long iron bar to dig out the bottom some more.  Then I laid flat stones at the bottom of each hole, to keep the posts from contacting the soil, and put the posts in.  After cleaning up the eight-foot metal tube and priming it, I placed it into the holes at the top of the posts to create a mockup.  I put a level on the bar and found we are just about level so that worked out pretty well.  One of the posts is warped but it and the other were free to me so I wasn't too particular about that.  Once the cement is in that shouldn't be a problem.  Here's a photo:


There's a bit more to do--have to knock both posts slightly to the right to straighten them out some more.  I plan to paint the bar the same color once the cement is in.  It was enough trouble getting it in there so I don't want to take it out and put it back in.




Went over to the neighbor's home under construction to take a look at the foundation.  Looks like it is definitely ready to have the concrete poured so I will be on the lookout tomorrow morning for the trucks.  If I see them, will go on over and bring my writing pad with me so we can work out a deal.  Do not want to have to mix that cement myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment