Saturday, May 14, 2011

Working on the Hoist and other Rail-Mower Projects

Had to forego an RPI work session at Llano today.  Had an operation on a vocal cord yesterday and am recuperating.  Since I am on a painkiller that potentially makes me drowsy, thought it would be better not to try to attend.  But I was able to get a lot done at home, such as spraying some trees, changing the oil and filter in my lawn tractor, cleaning it out some more from the RPI work session mowing the wye in Llano last weekend, etc.

Also began to work on my hoist project.  The hoist, just two ten-foot posts to be placed in three-foot holes with a 2-inch bar through them at 6.5 feet above ground level, will be used to mate the Bolens 1250 tractor frame and engine to the motorcar trailer, thereby creating a rail-mower.  I found two 12-foot 4x6s in my wood pile, so I cut them down to 10 feet.  Then I bored a 2-inch hole in one of them and will do the other tomorrow morning.  Finally, I filled up the various cracks in them with wood filler.  Tomorrow I will prime and paint the 7-foot portions above ground, and buy a coating for the part going in the ground at Home Depot.   Tomorrow I will also have to clean the rust off the eight-foot bar I going to install for the hoist and prime and paint it.  So lots of work still to be done, but it's getting there. 

As far as filling the post holes with concrete, it looks like the foundation for the new home next door is going to be laid soon.  I'm going to keep a close lookout for the cement trucks.  When they arrive, I will see about getting them to fill the holes for a decent gratuity.

Also spray painted some Bolens 1250 mower deck parts for the rail-mower.  Plus I moved all the parts for the Bolens 1455 mower deck out to the carport, next to the deck, so I can get started working on that restoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment