Sunday, May 22, 2011

May 22 Rail-Mower Work Session

OK, this was the real deal.  Everything up to now was just prologue--this was where the rubber hits the road.  Frank Glatzl arrived and we set up the EZ-Up as the first order of business to give us shade.  High winds whipped it off two or three times until we got the Velcro ties fastened securely.

First we re-installed the mount for the hydraulic cylinder (although we are not going to re-install the cylinder itself since Frank is going to fabricate a linkage).  Then we brought the front end over to mate it up with the main frame.  Then Frank re-installed the main PTO lever with the spring, which I had wirewheeled, primed and spray painted.  I cleaned the PTO splines so they will grab securely when the mower driveshaft is ready to be mounted.  Then we mounted the engine onto the new isolation engine mounts and bolted it down.  At this point we decided to cut off some excess equipment.  I brought out my angle grinder and cut off the two pedals and associated hardware since we aren't going to be using them anymore.  I am going to finish the job by cutting off the brake pedal--won't be braking either.

I drilled a hole in the dashboard to make it easier to run a choke cable through and brushed up some contacts with a wirewheel.

We then mounted the dashboard onto the main frame.  Then we mounted a supporting piece of metal that halfway covers the engine.  Frank then began hooking up various wires, which had been made easier by our marking numbers to show where they go.

By now we were sort of out of gas, but pleased with our progress.  Frank gave me homework before the next session:  I am to reinstall:  1) the PTO pulley, with belts (buying a fully matched set); 2) a metal bar that serves as a stiffener; 3) the battery and gas tank plate; and 4) the gas tank.  I will also disconnect various rods from the transmission in preparation for its removal.  I will also bore holes in the flat metal plate above the engine to relocate the ignition coil holder and find a bolt to tighten the coil holder.  Here's some photos of the reconstructed Bolens 1250:


Notice the motorcar trailer mounting platform for the rail-mower in the upper left background.


 
It's still recognizable as a garden tractor but that will change one we take the wheels off as well as the hydrostatic transmission in back.  We'll basically have a frame, an engine and a PTO takeoff, all bolted down onto a secure platform on the motorcar trailer.  Then it's just a question of hooking up the mower deck.  Am working on the Bolens 1455 deck first.  Have already cut a strip of conveyer belt to serve as a guard around the edge of the deck since the old one disappeared long between I acquired the deck.

Now that I can talk again after recovering from my vocal cord operation, I am going to call up my small engine guy and have him come over to help me reassemble the 1455 deck, since I have all the necessary bearings and small parts.  I will also call up a new acquaintance, a welder, and ask him to help me take apart the Bolens 1250 deck, which is in much worse shape.  At the least we will have a bunch of spare mower deck parts.  Once they are off the deck, that fellow can tell me if we can save the deck itself.  If not, I have to find another identical one and bring it back.  There are some out there but it's a long way from Texas, so am hoping the 1250 deck is salvageable.  We can use the 1455 deck for the rail-mower tryouts but I don't want to have to wrestle that heavy deck back and forth so am focusing on renovating a second one as well.

That's about it for this work session.  Another very busy day but a lot has been accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment