Monday, May 9, 2011

Hoist Under Construction

I had two holes dug yesterday, May 8, for the hoist to lift the tractor engine and frame up while we slide the motorcar trailer underneath them.  The holes are three feet deep and the 6x6 posts will be seven feet high, for a total of ten feet long.  I will drill 3-inch diameter holes in each of them for the eight foot long steel tube that will be fixed in place.  It will be about 6.5 feet off the ground.  I probably will put some sort of rope hoist on the tube but may loop my winch cable over it from my 12-foot trailer for the rail mower project.  The holes are on either side of the tractor frame where it is now.  I had been planning to place the hoist over the tracks that my Woodings CBI sits on, but realized the CBI is 7 feet, ten inches high, so a hoist would have to be more than eight feet tall to clear it.  That would involve too deep a hole.  So now I need to buy the posts and drill and paint them.  Then I will paint some creosote-like substance onto the bottom three feet and place them in the holes with flat stones at the bottom to keep them out of any water that might get in.  Once I get the bar level I will cement them in place.  Here's a photo of the frame and the newly dug holes, as well as one showing the EZ-Up we use to keep the sun off us when working on the rail mower:




Late last week I also spray painted the top of the Bolens 1455 mower deck.  While this deck ultimately is to be used with the 1455, I might use it on the rail mower pending renovation of the Bolens 1250 mower deck.   I bought the last little parts to redo the deck bearings and spindles last week, so should be able to renovate the 1455 deck soon.  Here's a photo of the 1455 deck ready to be restored under the motorcar carport:



That's the latest news on the railmower project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment