Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Picking Up More Parts

Went on a lengthy trip to Austin today.  Bought a 1 5/16" diameter metal tube to replace the motorcar trailer towbar.  Will have to cut an inch or so off it, but was lucky it met the minimum length needed.  Also picked up a 1 7/8" diameter metal tube eight feet long.  I am going to mount that across my 40-foot section of track at the top of a pair of 7-feet high posts and use it to hoist things up with (such as lifting the engine off the Bolens 1250 tractor and placing it onto the motorcar trailer).  My plan is to run my 12-foot trailer with the Warn winch as close as possible to the tractor and then play out the cable up and over the tube seven feet up.  After securing the load, I would lift it up using the winch.  At least that's the plan.

Also bought two more bearings, but now I'm thinking they are still too large.  The fellow took micrometer measurements of the old bearing I brought, but I can't press them in and can't get them in with a hammer.  So probably will have to exchange them.  Found another bearing house that seems to have a slightly smaller bearing (O.D.) so that might work.

Picked up a "Quad-Ring," which is sort of an O-ring on steroids, for my Bolens 1455 tractor since the parking pawl continues to leak hydraulic fluid out past the O-ring I installed two weeks ago.  Hopefully that will fix the problem, if not, "Ray" at Capitol Hydraulics said he has a "polyseal" that might work.

Also bought a piece of 17x24" aluminum sheet to create a Red Flag sign for working on the Capital Metro Railroad when speeders might be arriving at my location.

Got a lot of other errands accomplished as well, but none relating to the rail-mower project or RPI.

Also tried my Warn winch, which hadn't been working lately and it worked for 10 or 20 seconds before just clicking the relays.  That says to me there isn't a problem with the winch--the problem is the battery is probably worn out and needs to be replaced.  So will have to get a new one if I am to keep using the winch, which I need to pull my speeders onto the trailer.  Am thankful I don't have to diagnose a balky winch, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment