Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Pressed a Bearing In

Went out to the garage tonight to compare bearings and contemplate the two (expensive) ones I bought yesterday that didn't seem to fit.  I couldn't push them in with my fingers and they didn't want to go in with some persuasion from a hammer.  But an idea came to me.  I put the bearing housing with the bearing in my workbench vise and began closing the vise and the bearing pressed right into the housing.  So I don't have to exchange the two bearings after all.  Will order some additional bearings now that I know the correct size is right about 1.78 inches.  This has been a humbling experience in terms of how critical ten or twenty thousandths of an inch can be.  That's not an experience I've ever had before, so am going to chalk this up as a net gain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment