Sunday, April 17, 2011

Working on Motorcar Trailer

I removed 12 bolts from the trailer today and replaced them with longer ones so I could tighten down the nuts properly.  Then I tightened about 40 or so bolts, leaving a few loose that I anticipate we may have to work with in the process of mounting the tractor and mower deck.  Also worked on one of the trailer towbars.  The original bar was broken in half and I tried to salvage it by sleeving it inside a larger tube and using clevis pins.  Of course, the whole contraption was wobbly so I took Leland's advice and ground the weld off the tab on it.  The tab, which bolts the tube to the motorcar frame when the tube is installed, came right off.  All I have to do now is get a 1 5/16" diameter tube the right length and find someone to weld the tab back on.

Was frustrated as usual by the high winds which prevented me from spraying the mower deck and various other parts I have been wanting to paint.  Seems like every weekend for several weeks we have had a lot of wind.  But it can't keep up forever.

Will be going into Austin on Tuesday, April 19, the day after tax season, to get a bunch of errands done, including buying a new tube for the trailer at a metal shop, and getting bearings to fit the mower deck bearing housings.  So we will be moving ahead.  April 23 is the next RPI work session and I will attend that.  Then April 30 Frank Glatzl will come over and help me with a variety of tasks in permanently restoring the Bolens 1250 to operational status.  We will have to think about how to remove the hydraulic transmission.  Frank may also bring over two u-bolts crafted for the motorcar trailer towbar.  Couldn't find them anywhere and I sure did look hard, on line and at a couple of places in Austin.

A lot left to do but the logjam will begin to break since I will have plenty of spare time after tax season is over.  I actually have quite a few returns on extension that I will have to keep working on, but it is will be at my pace and I can devote more time to the RPI projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment